Community - American Football Management Simulator
AdBlocker active? It seems you are using software to block advertisements. You could help us if you could switch it off when visiting redzoneaction.org. The reason is very simple: Advertisements help us running the site, to offer you the game in a good quality for free. So if you like the game, please support us by purchasing a Supporter Account or disabling the AdBlocker on this site. Thank you very much!
Main / Suggestions / The elephants in the room Search Forum
Navigation: |<   1 2  3  4  >   >|  
Rating:
Rating
Poster Message
Rufio13
Space Kraken

Usa   Rufio13 owns a supporter account

Joined: 2019-08-14/S35
Posts: 797
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 16:10:13 (ID: 100173294) Report Abuse
Since everyone is taking about it and trying to come up with various solutions. Why not choose the obvious solution?

Remove the direction options in the playbook.

Just choose run, pass, pass medium, pass deep.

Pete has mentioned previously that the QB will choose the best option. (which I guess isn't the case since the best option is apparently chucking to the same guy down the sideline all game.)

This decision does not change any type of strategy since the defense can't counter it at all, and it will eliminate the obsolescence of certain positions being ignored with the current gaming of the system.

It should also be easily implemented as you can just render pass flank to simply mean pass. Wouldn't even need to u p d a t e your playbooks.

Leave it to the Malones to break the game. He's why we can't have nice things.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
Captain Jack
posted: 2023-04-05 16:34:21 (ID: 100173295) Report Abuse
Rufio13 wrote:
Since everyone is taking about it and trying to come up with various solutions. Why not choose the obvious solution?

Remove the direction options in the playbook.

Just choose run, pass, pass medium, pass deep.

Pete has mentioned previously that the QB will choose the best option. (which I guess isn't the case since the best option is apparently chucking to the same guy down the sideline all game.)

This decision does not change any type of strategy since the defense can't counter it at all, and it will eliminate the obsolescence of certain positions being ignored with the current gaming of the system.

It should also be easily implemented as you can just render pass flank to simply mean pass. Wouldn't even need to u p d a t e your playbooks.

Leave it to the Malones to break the game. He's why we can't have nice things.


Agreed. Pretty simple. Sure someone will find a way to disagree!
Quote   Reply   Edit  
ptdoc2017
Sunrise City Prairie Dogs

Usa   ptdoc2017 owns a supporter account

Joined: 2017-05-16/S25
Posts: 830
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 16:49:47 (ID: 100173297) Report Abuse
I mildly disagree.

For one, I like the flank-only running out of wishbone, flexbone and big I so that I know my RBs are handling the ball as opposed to my lesser FB.

Secondly, I'm not terribly impressed with the W/L results of this strategy of passing to flanks only. It's not like the Malones or Elephants (I assume he uses the tactic based on previous comments but have not actually looked to see if he is, so if not, sorry to include you) are having that great of a season. If they were undefeated and beating teams much better, than I'd be concerned, but the W/L results tell a different story.

All of that said, I do agree there should be a way for the defense to adjust to such a tactic.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
JohnHW
Leadhills Wonderers

Scotland   JohnHW owns a supporter account

Joined: 2023-03-15/S51
Posts: 112
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 17:00:17 (ID: 100173298) Report Abuse
I think that it makes sense. As a very new player, it can't be right that I could buy one very nice receiver, make him sit on one flank and make yards every time. Maybe not quite that simple, but pretty much it seems from the discussion. I would like to play with the playbook quite a bit, but not if there's a way to mess up a whole game with just one player - or 2 including the QB.

A thought. If a WR is catching 45 times in a game, shouldn't he have a very low PC by the end of the game ?
Quote   Reply   Edit  
pete
H2TAGIT4Q

Europe   pete owns a supporter account   pete is a Knight of RedZoneAction.org

Joined: 2011-09-01/S00
Posts: 19997
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 17:41:59 (ID: 100173299) Report Abuse
Rufio13 wrote:
Pete has mentioned previously that the QB will choose the best option. (which I guess isn't the case since the best option is apparently chucking to the same guy down the sideline all game.)


Could you please create a pointer to where I said that? It seems a bit out of context to me, to be honest.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
Rufio13
Space Kraken

Usa   Rufio13 owns a supporter account

Joined: 2019-08-14/S35
Posts: 797
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 17:45:44 (ID: 100173300) Report Abuse
ptdoc2017 wrote:
I mildly disagree.

For one, I like the flank-only running out of wishbone, flexbone and big I so that I know my RBs are handling the ball as opposed to my lesser FB.

Secondly, I'm not terribly impressed with the W/L results of this strategy of passing to flanks only. It's not like the Malones or Elephants (I assume he uses the tactic based on previous comments but have not actually looked to see if he is, so if not, sorry to include you) are having that great of a season. If they were undefeated and beating teams much better, than I'd be concerned, but the W/L results tell a different story.
.


I can understand the first point. The second one I do not. Malones are scoring 25ish points per game throwing to the same player over and over. Obviously, he's proving how broken and ridiculous it is that this tactic is viable. He's quitting the game, partially because of things like this. If he wasn't quitting and actually tried on defense he'd probably be 6-1 with this zero effort abuse of an offensive tactic. And the numbers would be even worse because he'd have the ball more often.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
Olband
Lincoln Towncars

Usa

Joined: 2020-05-11/S38
Posts: 334
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 18:09:23 (ID: 100173301) Report Abuse
I also disagree with limiting the options available to offensive play-callers. It does seem like a very efficient solution, but I personally don't like the cost. I like having more options, not less. The aforementioned point of preferring HBs over FBs is one reason, as well as the more popular avoidance of TEs that are so hard to train. I think it also makes sense to focus the most opportunities your most talented players, whether they are RBs, WRs, or whatever.
I just think the defense needs to be able to match these choices, whether that's a passive in-game adaptation, or allowing play-calling options to open up more of a chess match.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
Rufio13
Space Kraken

Usa   Rufio13 owns a supporter account

Joined: 2019-08-14/S35
Posts: 797
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 18:20:38 (ID: 100173302) Report Abuse
pete wrote:
Rufio13 wrote:
Pete has mentioned previously that the QB will choose the best option. (which I guess isn't the case since the best option is apparently chucking to the same guy down the sideline all game.)


Could you please create a pointer to where I said that? It seems a bit out of context to me, to be honest.


A quick search via my phone yielded this result. Not quite what I recall seeing, but it can add a little to the discussion I think. I can try to locate more if requested when I'm not working.

From Pete:

"pass" means the QB decides. His priority is "get that first down". So, the pass option in the gamesettings and the playbook is both "get that first down".

Quote   Reply   Edit  
pete
H2TAGIT4Q

Europe   pete owns a supporter account   pete is a Knight of RedZoneAction.org

Joined: 2011-09-01/S00
Posts: 19997
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 18:21:09 (ID: 100173303) Report Abuse
For the topic itself:

1st.) I couldnt care less if a manager finds fun in such boring gameplay.

2nd.) I feel with those managers who are disappointed such tactics works at all

3rd.) If I take measures, I would have two ways:

a.) Do it midseason. The danger is that managers might be upset who lost because of the strange gameplay, while other win after the engine behaves different

b.) do it at next rollover. We will have to deal with during this season

Quote   Reply   Edit  
pete
H2TAGIT4Q

Europe   pete owns a supporter account   pete is a Knight of RedZoneAction.org

Joined: 2011-09-01/S00
Posts: 19997
Top Manager



 
posted: 2023-04-05 18:21:45 (ID: 100173304) Report Abuse
Rufio13 wrote:
pete wrote:
Rufio13 wrote:
Pete has mentioned previously that the QB will choose the best option. (which I guess isn't the case since the best option is apparently chucking to the same guy down the sideline all game.)


Could you please create a pointer to where I said that? It seems a bit out of context to me, to be honest.


A quick search via my phone yielded this result. Not quite what I recall seeing, but it can add a little to the discussion I think. I can try to locate more if requested when I'm not working.

From Pete:

"pass" means the QB decides. His priority is "get that first down". So, the pass option in the gamesettings and the playbook is both "get that first down".



For the depth, rufio, not the direction.
Quote   Reply   Edit  
reply   Mark this thread unread
Navigation: |<   1 2  3  4  >   >|  
Main / Suggestions / The elephants in the room